Mick Hunt murder: Couple jailed for 19 years for South Norwood killing

Fiona Nalty (left) and Arry Green Image copyright Met Police
Image caption Fiona Nalty and her partner Arry Green were found guilty of murder

A couple who kicked and punched a man before stripping him and leaving him for dead in a skip have been jailed for life for murder.

Fiona Nalty, 24, and her partner Arry Green, 22, attacked 37-year-old Mick Hunt on a night out in South Norwood, south London, on 15 March.

Green and Nalty were sentenced to life imprisonment for a minimum of 19 years at the Old Bailey.

Judge Richard Kramer said the attack was "shocking and totally unjustified".

'Stop, please stop'

The court heard Mr Hunt was found lying in the skip in an alleyway on top of builders' rubbish five hours after the attack.

He was naked, unconscious and barely breathing, police said. He later died in hospital.

The judge told Green, of South Norwood, and Nalty, of Coulsdon, Surrey: "What you did was shocking and totally unjustified.

"Although you were drinking you acted together and I am satisfied each of you knew perfectly well what you were doing."

Image copyright Met Police
Image caption Mick Hunt was originally from Ireland but lived with his mother in south London

The judge added the murder was compounded by the humiliation of removing Mr Hunt's clothes and the fact he had suffered for hours in the skip before he was found.

During the trial, prosecutor David Jeremy QC said on the night of his murder Mr Hunt was seen drinking at a pub, before he went to a nearby off licence where he ran into the defendants.

One witness thought Mr Hunt was trying to chat up Nalty before she began to punch and kick him, the court heard.

Green joined in the attack because he did not like the idea of the victim fighting with a woman, despite the fact Mr Hunt was not retaliating and was begging the couple to "stop, please stop", the jury was told.

A 15-year-old boy who saw the attack heard Nalty laughing, the prosecution said.

A post-mortem examination showed Mr Hunt suffered a skull fracture and injuries consistent with kicking and stamping.

Mr Hunt, who was originally from Co Waterford, in Ireland but lived with his mother in Selhurst, south London, had suffered from depression and anxiety and had been a heroin user in the past.

However, he was known as "a friendly man who was not aggressive or violent", Mr Jeremy said.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites