Man in hospital after van and building fire in Hackney
A workman has been taken to hospital with serious burns after a van caught fire in east London.
The blaze gutted the vehicle and damaged a shop with flats above in Mare Street, Hackney.
The injured man, who is in his thirties, was taken to hospital in a critical condition, the Met said.
A spokesman said: "It is believed the fire was caused as a result of works carried out near a generator inside a commercial property."
London Fire Brigade said it was called just after 12.10 GMT.
Four fire engines and around 20 firefighters were on the scene and brought the blaze under control after just over an hour.
The Health and Safety Executive has been informed.