Wimbledon: Selfie sticks banned from tennis championship
- 27 April 2015
- From the section London
Selfie sticks have been banned from the Wimbledon tennis championship.
The All England Lawn Tennis Club has warned the sticks - which help with taking self-portrait photos - will not be allowed into this year's event.
The ticketholders' guide said: "In common with many other major sports and entertainment events and cultural attractions, the championships will not allow selfie sticks into the grounds."
The devices have already been banned at some museums and sports grounds.
A spokesman for the club told the Sunday Times the move was brought in partly because of the "nuisance value" but "primarily so it doesn't interfere with spectators' enjoyment".
A selfie stick allows its user a longer reach when using a smartphone or camera to take a "selfie" - a self-portrait photo.
Last month the National Gallery, in Trafalgar Square, placed the devices in the same category as tripods, which were already prohibited.
The Palace of Versailles in Paris, the Colosseum in Rome and US museum group, The Smithsonian, have also banned selfie sticks.
And after a complaint from a fan, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club prohibited the sticks from their White Hart Lane ground.