Fabric nightclub temporarily closed over 'drug deaths'
One of London's biggest nightclubs has had its licence suspended after two young men died from suspected drugs overdoses at the venue.
Fabric, in Farringdon, said it has agreed with authorities to suspend operations while the deaths of the 18-year-olds are investigated.
One of the men died in hospital last Saturday after he collapsed outside the venue at 08:20 BST.
The other man collapsed and died nine weeks before.
The Metropolitan Police asked for the nightclub's licence to be suspended in light of the deaths. Islington Council has now agreed to its request.
'Class A drugs'
The suspension is effective immediately and the club will have to stay closed until a review is held in the next 28 days.
A force spokesman said. "Officers felt the need to act due to concerns about the safety of those attending the club because of the supply of class A drugs in the venue and the recent deaths of two young men linked to the club."
A statement by Fabric said: "For the past two years Fabric has operated without incident but tragically in the past nine weeks two 18-year-old boys have died as a consequence of drug overdoses.
"In order to understand how this has happened we have agreed with the police and other agencies to suspend our operation whilst we investigate."
It said anyone with a ticket would be refunded.