Manchester

Pair rescued from fire at flats in Oldham

A man and woman had to be rescued by firefighters after a fire at their home in Oldham.

Crews were called to flats in Cheetham Street, Failsworth, at 0205 BST.

The pair were trapped on the first floor as the fire swept through the the ground floor, first floor and roof of the building.

The fire service said early indications showed the blaze was started in a wheelie bin, near the flats, and had then spread to the building.

Tony Lander, from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, said the pair had a "lucky escape".

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites