Manchester

Two hospitalised in Manchester chemical spill

Two people were taken to hospital and two were treated at the scene after a chemical incident in Manchester.

Fire crews were called to The Alchemist bar in Spinningfields at 0143 BST following reports of a substance giving off furmes.

Greater Manchester Ambulance Service said two people with asthma were taken to hospital with breathing difficulties.

All four people affected were employees of the bar.

A Greater Manchester Fire Service spokesperson said it was suspected the fumes were caused by an accidental mixing of two heavy duty cleaning agents in the kitchen.

The restaurant, in Hardman Square, and nearby premises were evacuated with a 50m cordon put in place in the area, which was lifted at 1630 BST.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites