Manchester

Five taken to hospital in RNCM salad dressing scare

Five people were taken to hospital after eating contaminated salad dressing at the Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM) in Manchester.

The college said a member of the catering staff had been suspended after it was found that dishwasher liquid was mistakenly added to a dressing bottle.

Three visitors and two members of staff ate the contaminated dressing when dining at the college's cafe on Friday.

Two were detained overnight at the Manchester Royal Infirmary.

'Five discharged'

A college spokeswoman said that the diners were accompanied in taxis to the hospital by RNCM staff.

She said: "Two individuals were admitted for observation and all five were discharged from hospital.

"An automatic dishwasher liquid had been mistakenly added to olive oil and used as a salad dressing.

"A member of catering staff has been suspended pending the outcome of a full investigation.

"On behalf of the college I would like to emphasise how sorry the college is for the distress caused.

"The health and well-being of the general public and employees is of utmost importance to the college and a full investigation by senior staff is under way to establish the facts of the incident."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites