Robber jailed for attack on Gary Marshall

Christopher Jones
Image caption Christopher Jones, 22, was jailed for 19 years

An armed robber who was in a getaway car that ran over a police officer in Greater Manchester has been jailed.

PC Gary Marshall was hit by a black BMW when a gang attempted to steal cash from a security van outside Partington Leisure Centre on 19 October 2009.

Christopher Jones, 22, from Speke, Liverpool, was found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Jones, who was also found guilty of a number of robberies, was jailed for 19 years at Preston Crown Court.

PC Marshall disturbed the offenders after they had failed to break into a security van at the leisure centre.

'Unbearable pain'

After ramming his police van, the offenders deliberately ran him over, leaving him critically injured.

He was left disabled and unable to return to work due to the injuries he sustained in the incident.

In his victim statement, PC Marshall said he was now 45% disabled and in "constant pain".

Image caption PC Gary Marshall was hit by the getaway car in 2009

He said: "I suffer greatly through lack of quality sleep and have become irritable and depressed.

"I am also unable to do most things a dad would do with his son, for example, playing football, cycling, running, as sometimes the pain can be unbearable.

"This is having a tremendously adverse effect on my son as he cannot always understand the reasons behind this."

Jones was charged with a spate of robberies in the North West between June and November 2009, focusing on cash-in-transit vehicles.

He appeared in court alongside Christopher Shaw, 29, from Crosby, and Raymond Mallen, aged 27, from Huyton, in a five-and-a-half week long trial.

Mr Shaw was found not guilty of conspiracy to rob. The jury was unable to reach a verdict on Mr Mallen, who will face a re-trial early next year.

Head of the North West Regional Organised Crime Unit, Det Ch Supt Paul Richardson, said: "Jones was an integral part of an organised crime group who carried out these crimes with little or no regard for the safety of others and left a police officer critically injured as they fled the scene of a failed cash-in-transit robbery."

Det Ch Insp Jen Williams, from Greater Manchester Police, added: "Jones showed no regard for the public of Partington, PC Marshall or the police generally."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites