Riots: Mother turned in looting son Michael Fitzpatrick

A teenager was "frog-marched" to a police station after his parents saw photos of him looting, a court heard.

Michael Fitzpatrick, 18, from Worsley, Greater Manchester, confessed to being one of the hundreds rioting and looting in Manchester city centre last week.

Fitzpatrick admitted three counts of burglary as a trespasser and one of handling stolen goods.

City magistrates remanded him in custody to be sentenced at Manchester Crown Court on Thursday.

He appeared in the dock with his mother, flanked by her husband.

The court was told Fitzpatrick worked in the family business, had never been in trouble with police before and intended to study at university.

Tim McArdle, for the defendant, said: "His photo was in the national newspapers.

"His mother saw that photo and was so disgusted with her son they effectively frog-marched him down to the police station.

"This is his first dealings with the criminal justice system."

Fitzpatrick had gone into the city centre "out of curiosity", Mr McArdle said.

He added: "He's gone on to the streets, seen what other people were doing and joined in. He's made a serious error of judgement, he accepts that."

Fitzpatrick admitted being involved in the attack on the Foot Asylum shop, which lost £14,000 worth of trainers.

The defendant also entered a ransacked Spar shop, which suffered £4,000 of damage and lost £25,000 of stock, and the Bang & Olufsen store, which suffered £800 worth of damage and lost £70,000 of goods.

Fitzpatrick was also spotted drinking from a £40 bottle of champagne, stolen from Kro Bar.

A 12-year-old boy, who was also handed in by his mother, was one of the few defendants to walk free from the magistrates' court, after receiving a nine-month referral order for burglary and violent disorder.

'In the riot'

The court was told his mother reported him after seeing wanted photos of her son being circulated by Greater Manchester Police.

Outside court, she told reporters she was "ashamed" of her son.

"I didn't know he was in the riot. I went out to look for him. It's wrong, I'm ashamed of him," she said.

The boy had been caught on CCTV during the trouble at Salford Precinct spraying a fire extinguisher around before pulling down metal shutters from a Cash Converters shop.

He then crawled inside and used a £100 golf club he had stolen to smash windows. The shop suffered £20,000 in damage.

District Judge Mark Hadfield told the youngster had he been 15 he would be going into custody for many months.

"It is to the credit of your mother, having seen your image, she then arranged to take you to Pendleton Police Station. That is the mark of the standard that she sets at home.

"You have badly let your parents down."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites