Anuj Bidve shooting: Parents visit Parliament

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionAnuj Bidve's father, Subhash, made an appeal on behalf of foreign students in the UK

The parents of an Indian student shot in Salford on Boxing Day have visited Parliament to discuss his murder investigation.

Anuj Bidve, 23, was shot in the head at close range as he walked along Ordsall Lane with friends.

Kiaran Stapleton, 20, of Ordsall, has been charged with his murder.

Mr Bidve's family met Keith Vaz, chairman of the Home Affairs Select Committee, to discuss concerns they have about the investigation.

Mr Bidve's father, Subhash, found out about his son's death on Facebook at home in Pune, India, before police in the UK were able to contact him.

'Great dignity'

Mr Vaz, the Labour MP for Leicester East, said: "I am pleased to welcome the Bidve family to Parliament.

"They have shown great dignity following the terrible circumstances of their son's death. This must be a very difficult time for them.

Image caption Anuj Bidve was shot at close range in Ordsall Lane, Salford

"I welcome the fact that Greater Manchester Police has arrested and charged a suspect within seven days of the event and that individual will face a full trial.

"We must reassure foreign students we are doing everything we can to ensure their safety in the UK.

"Following the criminal proceedings, it will be extremely helpful if there is a full report into the circumstances of his death."

Mr Vaz attended a candle-lit vigil for Mr Bidve in Salford on Monday.

The 23-year-old Lancaster University student was killed while visiting Greater Manchester with friends over the festive period.

He was shot as they walked along Ordsall Lane at about 01:30 GMT and died in hospital.

Mr Bidve's family arrived in the UK from India on Wednesday to take his body home.

They are also expected to visit the place where he died and are thought to have planned a visit to Lancaster University.

On Tuesday, Mr Stapleton, who described himself in court as "Psycho Stapleton" when he appeared before magistrates, was remanded in custody until his next hearing at Manchester Crown Court in March.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites