Manchester

Teenager rescues woman from burning house in Heywood

A woman from Greater Manchester had a lucky escape from a fire after a teenage neighbour came to her rescue.

The 52-year-old was dragged from the burning building in Heywood by a 16-year-old who lived nearby.

She had discovered a fire in her living room, believed to be caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette.

She called Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service but before firefighters arrived, the teenager had got into the property and found her on the settee.

Watch manager Mark Bamford said: "He did a sterling job, there's no two ways about it.

"The outcome could have been very different. It would have been very unpleasant.

"The heat was concentrated on one level as it was a bungalow and there was acrid smoke."

The incident happened in Furness Avenue at about 23:00 GMT on Wednesday.

Fire crews extinguished the fire but it had caused smoke damage to the whole property.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites