Nasar Hussain Salford shop shooting: Arfan Rafiq guilty after retrial

Arfan Rafiq
Image caption Arfan Rafiq was found guilty of manslaughter at a retrial

A man has been found guilty of the manslaughter of a Salford shop worker.

Nasar Hussain, 30, of Salford, was shot by a man with a machine gun at Brookhouse Wines, Winton, in July 2009.

Arfan Rafiq, 27, of Oldham, Greater Manchester, was convicted of murder and jailed for life in February 2011, but had his conviction quashed on appeal.

Rafiq, who was not the gunman, was convicted after a retrial at Manchester Crown Court and sentenced to 16 years in prison.

Rafiq, of Herron Street, was also found guilty of possession of a prohibited firearm, for which he was sentenced to five years in prison to run concurrently.

He was one of five men originally convicted over Mr Hussain's killing, which was caught on the shop's CCTV system.

Police want to speak to two other men in connection with the shooting and have made a renewed appeal for them to come forward.

'Gang feud'

Officers are trying to trace Mohammed Safdar, 32, formerly of Pitt Street, Oldham, and Tanveer Akbar, 32, formerly of Castle Street in Bolton.

It is thought both may have headed to Islamabad, Pakistan, although there have been reported sightings of Mr Akbar in Bolton.

Mohammed Hafiz, 43, and Simeon Henderson, 28, were jailed for life for Mr Hussain's murder at Manchester Crown Court in 2011.

Ryan Manning, 22, and Akmal Afzal, 25, were also jailed for their parts in the shooting.

Image caption Police want to trace Mohammed Safdar and Tanveer Akbar over the shooting

Manning, of Higher Ince, was convicted of manslaughter and was given an indeterminate sentence with a minimum term of eight years.

Afzal, of Bolton, was convicted of possessing a prohibited weapon and assisting an offender and jailed for seven years.

Hafiz, of Cheetham Hill, and Rafiq, of Oldham, were both convicted of murder.

Henderson, formerly of Huddersfield, had admitted murder and gave evidence against the other men. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

The court heard the shooting was the result of a feud between two gangs in Bolton, including the owners of Brookhouse Wines.

Hafiz ordered gunman Henderson to go into the shop to damage the store or injure one of its owners.

The court was told Mr Hussain was not the intended target in the attack and had no direct connection to the dispute.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites