Bury girl, 4, burned after clothes set alight by gas fire

A four-year-old girl is in a critical condition after her clothes were set alight by a gas fire in a house in Greater Manchester.

Emergency services were called to Horne Street, Bury, at about 12:30 GMT on Saturday after receiving reports that a child had been injured.

Paramedics treated the girl for 60% burns to her head and body before taking her to hospital.

A police spokesman said the incident looked like a "tragic accident".

'Extensive burns'

He said it was believed that her clothes had caught fire when she walked near to a gas fire.

"She suffered extensive burns and was taken to Manchester Children's Hospital, where she remains in a critical condition," he said.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said the fire had been confined to the girl's clothes.

He said a full investigation into the incident was under way.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Manchester

Weather

Manchester

23 °C 16 °C

Features & Analysis

  • SyedTanks instead of toys

    Lyse Doucet on the plight of children in Syria and Gaza


  • Silhouette of manSuper-shy

    Why do Germany's super-rich so often keep their heads down?


  • Detail from Gin Lane by HogarthMother's ruin

    The time was gin was full of sulphuric acid and turpentine


  • The two sisters in their bakery'Must be mad'

    Why two Spanish sisters started a bakery in a desert


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • EscaladeBling's the thing

    The ostentatious Cadillac Escalade cruises into 2015 with fuel-gulping gusto

Programmes

  • A sun bearThe Travel Show Watch

    The Borneo sanctuary coming to rescue of the world’s smallest bear

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.