Dog turns on hob and dies in fire at Radcliffe house

A dog has died after jumping on to a cooker and starting a fire at a house in Greater Manchester.

It is thought the dog caught the hob switch with its paw, accidentally switching it on at the house in Borough Avenue, Radcliffe, on Sunday evening.

Fire crews were called but the flames had gone out when they arrived and the dog had already died.

Several fish in a tank in the kitchen also died as a result of the fire and the kitchen was extensively damaged.

David Acton, chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: "Unfortunately, strange incidents such as a dog jumping up and knocking the switches to turn a hob on do happen and, despite all of our prevention work, we can't hope to prevent all of these things from happening."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites