Manchester

Six rescued from Wigan chip pan fire

A family of six was rescued from a house fire after becoming trapped in a bedroom when a chip pan burst into flames in the kitchen.

Firefighters were called to the house on Gregory Street, Leigh, in Wigan, Greater Manchester, at 01:25 GMT.

Crews rescued a woman and a man, both 29, and a child.

Three children had already been rescued by neighbours who ran into the building to get one child and used a ladder to carry two others to safety.

The family were given oxygen at the scene and taken to Wigan Infirmary suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke.

A Greater Manchester Fire Service spokesman said: "There was a smoke alarm in the premises which raised the alarm however it was incorrectly positioned on the wall instead of the ceiling.

"This incident could have so easily ended in tragedy.

"The house was heavily smoke damaged from the fire, which had started in the kitchen of the property from a chip pan that had been left unattended on the cooker."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites