Manchester

Man dies four months after Wigan flat fire

A man rescued from a fire at his flat in Greater Manchester has died after spending four months in hospital.

The 54-year-old man suffered burns to his body in the fire on Livingstone Street, Ashton, Wigan, in December.

Firefighters were called to reports of smoke at the flat and found the man inside.

Initial investigations suggest the fire started due to cigarettes, a fire service spokesman said.

Following the blaze, firefighters contacted 332 homes in the area to offer home safety checks - which involve a visit from fire service staff to advise on fire safety and in some cases fit smoke alarms.

David Acton, chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: "It is terribly sad.

"Firefighters worked hard to help him on the night and, in the months since this blaze, crews and community safety staff have been working in the area to offer support and advice to those living nearby who were left shocked and worried by this fire.

"We would ask those hearing about this now to consider taking up our offer of a home safety check if they haven't already done so."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites