Wigan baby death: Martin Thomas charged with assault
- 7 April 2014
- From the section Manchester
A man has been charged with assault after the death of a baby in Wigan, police have said.
Greater Manchester Police said the four-month-old girl was found unconscious and not breathing at an address in Wigan on 21 February last year. She died in hospital.
Martin Thomas, 31, of Beech Hill Avenue, Wigan, has been charged with six counts of section 18 assault.
He has been bailed to appear before Wigan Magistrates' Court on Friday.
Police said a post-mortem examination held on 27 February 2013 found a number of fractures to the baby's head and body, but that further tests to establish the cause of death were inconclusive.
A 24-year-old woman who was arrested on suspicion of murder and child neglect will not be charged, a police said.