Manchester

Oldham ecstasy warning after teenager taken to hospital

A teenager was taken to hospital after taking what is believed to have been part of a "bad batch" or contaminated ecstasy at a Greater Manchester party.

The 18-year-old collapsed at a house in Ivygreen Drive, Oldham, at about 05:00 GMT on Sunday.

He remains in hospital and is being treated in a high dependency unit, Greater Manchester Police said.

Officers believe the Class A drug, also known as MDMA, may have been "home-made" and warn others to be vigilant.

Det Sgt Rick Arthern said: "The lasting effects this young man will experience are unclear at the moment, but we have all seen the tragic consequences of what can happen when people ingest drugs and suffer an allergic reaction. Families have been robbed of their loved ones.

"Taking drugs is risky enough, but when you factor in that we believe this may be a contaminated or 'bad batch' of home-made MDMA then that risk goes up further."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites