Manchester

Woman, 23, dies after Rochdale flat 'smoking' fire

Tweedale Street in Rochdale Image copyright Google
Image caption Firefighters were called to Tweedale Street in Rochdale on Saturday

A 23-year-old woman has died after a flat fire in Greater Manchester.

Firefighters from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service were called to Tweedale Street, in Rochdale, in the early hours of Saturday.

Station Manager Jon Crawley said the ground-floor flat was "well alight" and the woman was taken to hospital where she died.

The emergency services believe the fire was an accident and "the most likely cause" was due to smoking.

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites