Bridgewater Canal rape probe dropped amid false claim
A rape investigation has been discontinued after the complainant admitted making a false allegation.
Police appealed for information amid claims the 33-year-old was raped in Salford, Greater Manchester, on the towpath of the Bridgewater Canal.
She had earlier accepted a lift from a man in the early hours of Sunday, Greater Manchester Police said.
However, the force said the matter was now closed after the "vulnerable" woman admitted the rape never happened.
Det Insp Benjamin Hart said: "We take all reports of rape and sexual assault very seriously and we will fully investigate each one until we find who is responsible.
"In this case, the claimant, who is vulnerable, has admitted to an officer this did not happen. I understand those living close to the area have been very concerned but I would like to reassure them this incident did not take place."