Boy who punched man before car fatally hit him detained
A boy who punched a man and left him lying unconscious in the road before he was then killed by a careless driver has been detained for five years.
The 16-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, attacked Bradley Moore outside a McDonald's restaurant in Ashton-under-Lyne on 27 July 2016.
Seconds later, the 43-year-old was struck by Jonathan Carter's car.
Carter, 44, was given a nine-month jail sentence - suspended for two years - at Manchester Crown Court on Monday.
The teenager, found guilty of Mr Moore's manslaughter at trial in January, was sentenced to youth detention.
Found guilty of causing death by careless driving, Carter was also disqualified from driving for two years.
After the trial, senior prosecutor David Hartley said it was "unusual" for two people who did not know each other to both be convicted, but each had "independently contributed" to Mr Moore's death.
He said Mr Moore had been attacked by the boy and three of his friends outside the restaurant, who had thrown "numerous punches and kicks" before the 16-year-old "struck him with one punch which caused him to fall into the road".
They then fled, leaving the 43-year-old "lying prone" on the street and "moments later, Carter - who was having a text argument with his partner - got in his car, and drove away", he added.
Duncan Thorpe, the senior investigating officer, said Carter was "driving the wrong way up a one way street" when he ran over Mr Moore and had told police that he had "felt a bump" but thought he had "clipped the kerb or a tree".
He said Mr Moore died from multiple injuries, including over 30 chest fractures, a tear to his liver, a broken jaw and internal bleeding.
The 16-year-old also pleaded guilty to affray along with three other boys.
They were sentenced to referral orders at an earlier hearing at Tameside Youth Court.