Manchester attack victim John Atkinson was 'true gentleman'

John Atkinson Image copyright Facebook
Image caption Friends remembered "an amazing young man" and said he was "never going to be forgotten"

A man who was killed in the Manchester attack has been remembered as "a true gentleman".

John Atkinson, 28, from Radcliffe in Bury, was among 22 people who died when a suicide bomber attacked concertgoers at Manchester Arena on Monday.

"John was one in a million and loved by so many," Hayley Dickenson, a friend of Mr Atkinson, said in an online tribute.

He was "a true gentleman", she said on a fundraising page which she set up to help his family.

The page has raised almost £5,000 since it was created on Tuesday.

Kind and thoughtful

"John tragically lost his life... in the Manchester MEN bomb attack," wrote Ms Dickenson.

"A true gentleman. R.I.P John thoughts and prayers with you family and all of the other victims affected by this tragedy," she said.

Manchester attack: Latest updates

Friends paid tribute to the former Bury College student on Facebook.

Nayomie Louize posted a video of pictures of her friend and said: "We love you sooooo much John. Your Never going to be forgotten".

Nana Julie Mills said: "Just heard one of my good friends whom I've known since he was a little boy passed away last night. Condolences to his family and friends. R.I.P John Atkinson".

Tracey Crolla said: "Thinking of all the Atkinsons at this very sad time John Atkinson you turned into an amazing young man so kind and thoughtful you will be missed by everyone x x".

Charlie Deane, the principal of Bury College, where Mr Atkinson studied Health and Social Care until 2008, said he was "shocked and saddened by the news".

"Our thoughts go out to John's family and friends and all those who have been affected by recent events," he said.

Bury Council leader Rishi Shori tweeted his "sincere condolences" Mr Atkinson's family and friends, saying the victims "should be remembered for joy they gave".

Eleven of the 22 victims have been named so far, including an eight-year-old girl and a Polish couple.

A further 59 people, including children, were injured and taken to hospital after the concert.

More on this story