Lancashire

Skelmersdale burns victim girl 'inspirational'

Paige Silcock
Image caption Paige Silcock suffered 50% burns to her body in the accident last year

The mother of a seven-year-old girl who spent a year in hospital after suffering severe burns has said she is "an inspiration to everyone".

Paige Silcock was close to her home in Hartshead, Skelmersdale, on Mother's Day last year when she started playing with a discarded cigarette lighter.

She managed to set her hair alight before the flames engulfed her body, leaving her with extensive burns.

After treatment in Alder Hey children's hospital, she returned home last week.

Her mother, Allison Francis, said: "I remember screaming and running up the stairs, I had to put the flames out in her hair. It was horrific."

She said her daughter, who now uses a wheelchair, was working hard to learn how to walk again.

"She is determined, she wants to get up and do it, which is a good thing because she wants to do what other children are doing so she is more enthusiastic," said Mrs Francis.

She said she has to apply cream to her skin three times a day, but Paige does not complain.

She added: "She is an inspiration to everyone. It's like losing one child and gaining another."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites