Liverpool

St Helens man, 31, rescued as cigarette causes fire

A 31-year-old man had to be led to safety during a fire at his flat on Merseyside.

Crews from St Helens and Whiston were called to the fire at the first-floor flat at 1444 BST on Saturday in Tasman Grove, Thatto Heath.

Merseyside Fire Service said the fire was caused by a discarded cigarette which set fire to a bed and clothing in the living room.

The flat was lightly damaged by smoke. The man was taken to Whiston Hospital.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites