Chocolate pudding blast injures Newton le Willows woman

An elderly woman was left with facial burns when a tinned chocolate pudding exploded and showered her with hot liquid.

A Merseyside Fire crew was called to a property on Belvedere Road, Newton le Willows on Thursday night after reports of a possible explosion.

The woman, who was in her 80s, was given first aid and taken to Warrington Hospital.

Firefighters said the incident happened when the pudding tin overheated.

Watch Manager Alan Moore, who attended the call-out, said: "This was a tin of pudding which cooks by putting it in boiling water, the lady forgot it was heating up on the cooker and the water evaporated.

"I think she went to get it out of the pan and the lid exploded.

He added: "Her face was covered with some of the hot chocolate, she could not see or open her eyes."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites