Hillsborough: Fresh call for Kevin Williams inquest

Kevin Williams Anne Williams has campaigned for a fresh inquest into her son's death

The mother of 15-year-old Hillsborough victim Kevin Williams has renewed her call for a fresh inquest and a criminal investigation into the tragedy.

Anne Williams' solicitor is writing to the attorney general, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and director of public prosecutions (DPP).

Mrs Williams says her son was still alive at 16:00, just under an hour after the tragedy took place.

Ninety-six Liverpool fans died in the 1989 disaster at Sheffield.

Letters from Mrs Williams' solicitor Elkan Abrahamson will be sent out later.

Last week the Hillsborough Independent Panel found that police tried to blame fans for the tragedy which took place at the Liverpool v Nottingham Forest FA Cup semi-final held at the Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield.

Mrs Williams has waged a long campaign for a new inquest into her son's death, disputing traumatic asphyxia as the cause of his death and the verdict of accidental death by the coroner.

In 2009, the European Court of Human Rights threw out her appeal challenging the original inquest verdict.

Mr Abrahamson's letter cites details gathered by Mrs Williams as well as further documents revealed by the panel.

He said these include clear evidence Kevin was alive 45 minutes after the disputed 15:15 cut-off time decided by the South Yorkshire coroner Dr Stefan Popper, who ruled no evidence was admissible after that time.

'Manipulated evidence'

Mr Abrahamson said: "We have heard from the independent panel that the evidence shows at least 41 of the 96 deceased, including Kevin, suffered injuries which were not necessarily fatal and could have been treated at the scene.

"The significance of this is that the actions and failures of the police and other authorities were not examined in the context of whether fans such as Kevin should have survived."

He said the accidental death verdict recorded on Kevin was based on only part of the evidence - "a part that appears to have been manipulated by the authorities".

His letter to the attorney general calls for a fresh inquest, while the letters to the IPCC and DPP urge a fresh investigation into allegations of manslaughter, corporate manslaughter, perverting the course of justice and misconduct in a public office.

Ninety-five fans were crushed to death as the 15 April 1989 game was due to start. The 96th victim, who was left in a coma, died three years later after a ruling that his tube-feeding could be ended.

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Liverpool



17 °C 12 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Cerro RicoSatanic mines

    Devil worship in the tunnels of the man-eating mountain

  • Nefertiti MenoeWar of words

    The woman who sparked a row over 'speaking white'

  • Oil pumpPump change

    What would ending the US oil export ban do to petrol prices?

  • Brazilian Scene, Ceara, in 1893Sir Snapshot

    19th Century Brazil seen through the eyes of an Englishman

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • SailingGame on

    BBC Capital discovers why certain sports seem to have a special appeal for those with deep pockets


  • European Union's anti-terrorism chief Gilles de KerchoveHARDtalk Watch

    Anti-terrorism chief Gilles de Kerchove on the threat from returning Islamic State fighters

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.