Bootle man bailed over bank and council cyber attacks

Related Stories

A man held over a series of cyber attacks that disrupted bank and council websites has been released on bail.

The 50-year-old man, from Bootle, had been arrested under the Computer Misuse Act.

The attacks, which happened earlier this month and in June, targeted two multinational banking firms and a council in the North West, police said.

A search warrant was carried out at a house in Bootle, Merseyside on Monday, and a computer was seized.

'Worry and concern'

Police said the website of an advisory service for family court matters was also targeted.

The sites were disrupted by distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. These involve flooding organisations' web servers with requests, causing them to crash.

Det Ch Insp Janet Hudson, from the North West's e-crime unit, said a computer was seized during the search of the property.

She said: "Four large organisations have suffered as a result of these cyber attacks with the services they provide badly affected for lengthy periods.

"These attacks caused worry and concern. No-one knew how long they would last or if the damage could be repaired."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Liverpool

Weather

Liverpool

16 °C 10 °C

Features & Analysis

  • French luxury Tea House, Mariage Freres display of tea pots Tea for tu

    France falls back in love with tea - but don't expect a British cuppa


  • Woman in swimming pool Green stuff

    The element that makes a familiar smell when mixed with urine


  • Female model's bottom in leopard skin trousers as she walks up the catwalkBum deal

    Why budget buttock ops can be bad for your health


  • The OfficeIn pictures

    Fifty landmark shows from 50 years of BBC Two


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • ITChild's play

    It's never been easier for small businesses to get their message out to the world

Programmes

  • An aerial shot shows the Olympic Stadium, which is closed for repair works on its roof, in Rio de Janeiro March 28, 2014.Extra Time Watch

    Will Rio be ready in time to host the Olympics in 2016? The IOC president gives his verdict

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.