Liverpool

Elderly woman dies in 'accidental' house fire in Wallasey

An elderly woman has died in a Wirral house fire believed to be accidentally started by "discarded smoking materials", the fire service said.

Fire crews were called to Rake Lane, Wallasey, at about midnight and found the woman's body in the lounge.

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) said a sofa and flooring was damaged, with smoke damage throughout the building.

A fire safety campaign will now be carried out by MFRS in the area.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites