Liverpool

Ross Barkley: Police contact Everton midfielder over 'unprovoked attack'

Ross Barkley Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Barkley was not seriously injured in the incident, which came hours after he played for the Toffees in their win over Leicester

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley has been contacted by police after he was the victim of an "unprovoked attack".

Merseyside Police are investigating after footage circulating on social media showed the 23-year-old being hit in the face by a man in a bar.

The attack was not reported to police and Barkley was not seriously injured.

Liverpool bar Santa Chupitos, where the incident took place, said the member of staff responsible for leaking video footage had been sacked.

The England player's lawyer, Matt Himsworth, said Barkley was the victim of an "unprovoked attack by a stranger who approached him on Sunday evening."

'Leaking imagery'

Tweeting from the account @santachupitos, the venue said such incidents "are very rare and extremely unwelcome" and the "incident on the evening was handled quickly and professionally".

"We can confirm that we have fully investigated and dismissed the member of staff responsible" for 'recording and leaking imagery'."

Barkley, who trained as normal with his team-mates on Monday, has played 22 times for England and was part of Gareth Southgate's most recent Three Lions squad.

The Liverpool-born player joined Everton as an 11-year-old and has made 173 first-team appearances.

A force spokesman said inquires into the incident were "ongoing".

More on this story

Around the BBC

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites