Northampton

Warning over Daventry reservoir algae outbreak

A warning has been issued to dog owners after potentially toxic algae was discovered in a reservoir in Northamptonshire.

The blue green algae was found at Daventry Country Park.

The organisms develop naturally but can cause illness to people and animals who come into contact with it.

Visitors to the park, off Northern Way, have been warned not to let their dogs swim in the reservoir while the algae is present.

John Harris, from Daventry District Council, said: "We would urge all pet owners who visit the country park to be aware of the blue-green algae and avoid letting their dogs jump into the lake or drink from the shore.

"The algae can cause illness to dogs if they drink it and people need to be aware of the harm it can cause to their pets."

The algae is expected to dissolve naturally with the cooler weather and heavy rain.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites