Warning over Daventry reservoir algae outbreak
Blue-green algae that can harm animals has returned to a Northamptonshire reservoir as water temperatures rise.
Daventry Country Park has issued a warning to visitors not to let their pets swim in the reservoir.
Tiny organisms that develop naturally in warm conditions can cause illness to any animals that drink the water.
"People need to be aware of the harm it can cause to their pets," Maria Taylor, community manager at Daventry District Council, said.
"We have put notices up around the park warning them of the algae and would strongly urge all visitors to avoid letting their dogs jump into the lake or drink from the shore until it has all gone."
British Waterways has also put up notices in the park warning visitors about the blue-green algae.
It is not known how long it will remain in the reservoir but the algae is expected to dissolve naturally with the arrival of cooler weather and heavy rain.
The country park issued a similar warning about the organism in September last year.