Princess Marina Hospital dementia drugs overdose nurse struck off
A nurse has been struck off for giving a dementia patient an overdose then telling a colleague she had given him a "good whack of medication".
Janet Baines gave the man two tablets instead of one at the Princess Marina Hospital in Northampton in 2008, the Nursing and Midwifery Council heard.
The Conduct and Competence Committee found all allegations proved.
It said she presented a significant risk of harm to the man and a disregard for his well-being and dignity.
The panel added that by recording on a drugs chart that she had given him just one tablet, she had committed "knowing and deliberate dishonesty which goes against the fundamental principles of practice".
It was told the patient's behaviour had "challenged services" and he was prescribed a number of drugs that had a sedative effect.
After giving him two tablets, Ms Baines was heard to tell a colleague: "Don't worry about him, I gave him a good whack of medication".
The patient remained drowsy and became more unresponsive over the afternoon, the committee heard.
A concerned health care assistant who had been with Ms Baines when she gave the patient two tablets alerted the duty doctor to the subsequent symptoms.
The patient was then transferred to Northampton General Hospital.
Ms Baines, who had worked at the hospital since 1987, denied the allegations - which the panel concluded was an aggravating factor and revealed a lack of insight or remorse.
It said the findings amounted to misconduct and that Ms Baines continued to present a risk to patients.