Northampton

Fire in old Angel Hotel in Northampton was accidental

Scaffolding now covers the building
Image caption The fire gutted the former Angel hotel in Bridge Street

A fire that gutted a Grade II listed building housing a bar in Northampton started accidentally on the roof, investigators believe.

An inquiry found the fire at the former Angel hotel, in Bridge Street, on 1 January was probably caused during work on the roof.

Ian O'Donovan, from the county fire and rescue service, said: "The most likely cause was hot work to the roof."

Fat Cat and Balloon bars, on the first floor of the building, remain closed.

Mr O'Donovan said there were no suspicious circumstances and the case was now with the insurers. The building remains covered in scaffolding.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites