Nottingham rapist Matthew Mee sent to prison

A man who subjected a 20-year-old woman to a prolonged sex attack in Nottingham has been given an indeterminate prison sentence.

Matthew Mee, 26, of Allington Avenue, Lenton, admitted three counts of rape at Nottingham Crown Court in October.

Mee hit his victim, dragged her into bushes and attacked her near Queen's Road, the Meadows, in the early hours of 25 May.

Mee must prove he is not a danger to the public before parole is considered.

Mee was given an eight-year tariff attached to his indeterminate sentence at Nottingham Crown Court.

He must serve at least four years and one month before he can apply for parole.

Recurring 'nightmares'

Speaking after the sentencing, Det Ch Insp Rob Griffin from Nottinghamshire Police, said: "Mee has proved himself quite capable of stalking and attacking lone women.

"He is a dangerous threat to the public and took an opportunity to commit a most horrific and foul act."

Mee was arrested on the day after the attack, on suspicion of shoplifting from a Nottingham store.

The arresting officer, PC Ray Bradshaw, recognised Mee from a CCTV image of the suspected rapist which had been circulated among local police officers.

When the victim's DNA was found on Mee's clothing, he was charged.

In a statement, Mee's victim, now aged 21, said: "It was like a nightmare and it was humiliating. It was the worst thing that's happened to me in my life and it was so difficult for me that I did not tell my parents for a month.

"I still have anxiety and panic attacks. I cannot sleep and even if I manage to fall asleep I have nightmares. I can see his face in my dreams and I have flashbacks of what happened."

Det Ch Insp Griffin added: "Stranger rapes are mercifully extremely rare and when they do occur, we will do everything within our power to apprehend the attacker as soon as possible and hold them to account."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites