Nottingham

Nottingham flats evacuated after electrical fire

Lombard Close, New Lenton
Image caption The fire also affected power to other blocks nearby

Residents who were forced to leave a block of flats in Nottingham in a fire have been told it could be some time before being allowed back in.

Fire broke out in wiring in a bin room at the 17-storey building in Lombard Close, New Lenton, at about 14:00 BST on Monday and cut power to the area.

About 80 people were escorted out and placed in temporary accommodation.

Nottingham City Homes (NCH) has said it is investigating the cause and possible asbestos contamination.

Smoke affected two flats above the fire but there are no reports of injuries.

The fire also affected power supply to two other blocks in Lenton Court but this was restored on Monday night.

NCH said it would escort residents back in to collect belongings but it could not give a time for the building to be reopened.