Bid to solve 1982 Gurcharn Singh Landa taxi driver murder

The family of a Nottingham taxi driver stabbed 87 times, has appealed for help to catch their father's killer - on the 30th anniversary of his death.

Gurcharn Singh Landa, known as John, was found dead in Cyprus Road, Mapperley in the early hours of Saturday 14 August 1982.

Nottinghamshire Police believe Mr Landa was robbed of his takings and then stabbed, mostly in the chest.

Despite 11 people having been arrested, no one has ever been charged.

Det Ch Insp Tony Heydon said: "Mr Landa's death not only devastated a family but shocked an entire community.

"Thirty years have passed but justice still needs to be done and someone out there could have vital information that would help us to identify the person, or people, responsible for Mr Landa's murder."

Det Ch Insp Heydon added he thought this might be the last chance to catch Mr Landa's killer.

The 33-year-old taxi driver and father of eight, was sent to Peel Street at about 04:00 GMT to pick up a passenger, who gave his name as "Shelton" when he rang from a telephone box.

Daughter's recollection

Police believe he picked someone up before driving to Cyprus Road, about a mile away.

At 04:05 BST, a woman living on Cyprus Road heard a car brake suddenly and looking out of the window, saw Mr Landa's taxi rocking violently as though a fight was taking place.

She also reported seeing a man searching the the taxi's dashboard.

After calling 999, the woman went out into the street to find Mr Landa, who died shortly after police arrived.

Image caption Police said the attack started in Mr Landa's car but he was then taken out and pulled onto the street

Mr Landa's eldest daughter Satnam Kaur, now 41 but who was 11 at the time, said: "I remember that day in August 1982 so well.

"I got up early in the morning and went into my mum and dad's room to see that dad wasn't there.

"The two detectives came round and my world came crashing down around me.

"Thirty years on and I'm married with three children. My dad has missed all this."

At the time of the original investigation, more than 2,000 statements were taken and police spoke to 13,200 individuals. Eleven people were arrested or interviewed under caution but the killer has not yet been caught.

Det Ch Insp Heydon added: "Take a moment to cast your mind back. Your own view may have changed, you may have been told something after the incident that could help us, or you may know someone who might have information.

"What you know could be the final piece of the jigsaw."

The case remains one of 17 unsolved murders in Nottinghamshire, which date back to 1963.

Anyone with information should contact Nottinghamshire Police's incident room or Crimestoppers.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites