Radford fire: Explosion caused by electrical overload

Birkin Road terraced roof
Image caption The fire service said two gas cylinders in the roof of the Radford property caused the explosion

A fire which caused oxygen cylinders to explode at a house in Nottingham was caused by an electrical overload, the fire service has said.

Two big explosions in a terraced street in Birkin Avenue, Radford caused several roofs to catch fire on Wednesday evening.

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said seven cylinders being stored in a loft caused the fire which spread to three properties in the terraced row.

It also said nobody had been hurt.

The blaze hit the houses shortly before 18:00 GMT on Wednesday and residents reported hearing "loud bangs".

Up to 15 firefighters worked through the night to tackle the blaze and many were still at the scene on Thursday morning.

An investigation concluded there was too much demand on the electricity supply and the overload started the fire.

Residents were allowed to return to their homes on Thursday afternoon.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites