Abuse claim Beechwood children's home residents awarded compensation
- 3 May 2014
- From the section Nottingham
Former residents at a children's care home have been awarded compensation after claims they were sexually abused.
The information came to light a Freedom of Information request submitted by the BBC about the Beechwood home in Mapperley, Nottingham.
Details were requested from Nottingham City Council and Nottinghamshire County Council who both ran the home.
The councils said settlements had been made without admitting responsibility and some claims were still ongoing.
The children's home closed eight years ago and was run by both authorities because of a boundary change.
In total, £250,000 has so far been paid out to 26 former residents and a "significant" number of other claims are still being considered.
Four of the claims fell into a period when the home was managed by the city council and 21 when the homes was managed by the county council.
One other claim spans both periods and has been part funded by both councils.
In a statement, Nottingham City Council, which is dealing with the claims on behalf of both councils, said: "These are complex cases and each of the claims received has been considered on its individual merits and there may be different outcomes for different cases.
"The councils have settled a number of cases on legal advice, and in consultation with their insurers.
"These cases have been settled without any admission of liability. A significant number of other claims are ongoing, so it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."
On Friday a man was arrested on suspicion of child rape at the former home. It followed an investigation into more than 50 claims of child sex abuse dating back to the 1970s.
He has since been bailed pending further enquiries.