Nottingham

MPs to debate antifreeze cat poisoning deaths

Parsnip and Mark Spencer Image copyright Mark Spencer
Image caption Mark Spencer, who has a cat called Parsnip, said people are scared to let their pets out

MPs are to debate the control of antifreeze products following the suspected poisoning of up to 22 cats in the same village.

Sherwood MP Mark Spencer said the deaths of the cats in Calverton, Nottinghamshire, appear to be linked.

He has taken the issue to Parliament, where there will be an adjournment debate in Westminster Hall on Tuesday.

The RSPCA, which is investigating the cat deaths, said it was unusual to have so many in one area.

Mr Spencer, who has a cat called Parsnip, said: "If it is malicious then that is a very serious criminal offence.

"People are genuinely worried. They don't want to let their cat out in case they don't see them again."

The issue to be debated is the "control of antifreeze products and protection of animals".

Image copyright Family photo
Image caption Nick Lawlor said it hurt him to watch his son's cat, Piper, die in a suspected poisoning

Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol which forms crystals inside the animals, damaging kidney tissue and causing kidney failure.

Symptoms of poisoning include lethargy, vomiting and appearing groggy or drunk.

On Saturday, Mr Spencer called a public meeting about the Calverton cat deaths, which began in the summer.

Nick Lawlor, who was at the meeting, said the culprit needs to be caught.

His son's cat, Piper, died in a suspected poisoning.

"They've got to pay for what they've done. You can't kill kids' pets," he said.

"Her eyes were rolling around her head, she was fitting. She passed away within a couple of hours.

"Personally I'm not a cat person. I've got a Staffie [but] what I saw the cat go through hurt."

Image caption Up to 22 cats have died from suspected antifreeze poisoning in the village of Calverton

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites