Oxford

Couple's 'lucky' escape from fire in Oxfordshire

An elderly couple were "lucky" to escape from a fire without serious injury, the fire service has said.

A washing machine caught alight in the kitchen of the bungalow in Ardley Road, Fewcott, on Tuesday.

A crew wearing breathing apparatus used a high pressure water jet to extinguish the flames.

The couple were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by firefighters and later taken by ambulance to the John Radcliffe Hospital.

Watch manager Paul Mann said: "The occupants of this property were extremely lucky to escape without serious injury and fortunately had a working smoke alarm and were able to dial 999 on discovery of the fire."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites