Oxford

Oxfordshire walker returns to find house on fire

A homeowner in Oxfordshire returned from an afternoon stroll earlier to discover his house was on fire.

Crews were called to Shirley Farm, Hailey, near Witney, at 1430 GMT when fire broke out in the living room.

Firefighters said the fire may have been caused by a spark from a wood burning stove which landed on the carpet and set light to the settee.

The flames were contained in the living room but the rest of the house suffered extensive smoke damage.

No-one was in the house at the time.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging householders to take extra care with wood burning stoves.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites