Oxford

Two people rescued from Banbury house fire

Two people were rescued from their burning home by firefighters after a late-night blaze in Oxfordshire.

Crews were called to the house in Broome Way, Banbury, just before midnight on Saturday after a neighbour was woken up by a smoke alarm.

Fire watch manager Don Crook said the pair had a "very lucky" escape from the fire, which started in the kitchen, as they had slept through the alarm.

Both were taken to hospital suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke.

Mr Crook added: "Due to the quick response of the crews in rescuing the couple from the property and the neighbour that raised the alarm in the first place they will both be OK.

"The property was fitted with working smoke alarms and although on this occasion it did not wake the occupants it was enough to raise the alarm to a neighbour and we were able to get them out alive."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites