Nuneham village hall to reopen after fire

Villagers outside the burning hall in Nuneham Courtenay
Image caption Villagers were watching a play inside the hall when the fire started

A village hall in Oxfordshire which was damaged by fire is due to reopen on Saturday.

The building, in Nuneham Courtenay, had to be evacuated in May 2010 when a fire began in fuse boxes and rapidly spread to the roof.

The hall has undergone a £100,000 refubishment. The reopening will be marked with a reception and live music.

Some of the 40 firefighters who helped save the building have also been invited to the event.

'Historical building'

Villagers had been inside the hall watching a play when the fire started. Everyone escaped unharmed.

The wooden building was donated to the village in 1922 and moved by horse and cart from Weston on the Green.

Oxfordshire's communities councillor, Judith Heathcoat, said: "The actions of our firefighters clearly helped to protect the lives of the people in the hall that day and their bravery saved what is an important historical building in Nuneham Courtenay.

"I am so pleased it is reopening and will continue to provide the villagers with events in their much loved hall."

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites