Oxford

Sleeping man rescued from Banbury oven blaze

A neighbour saved the life of a man who slept through a fire at his Oxfordshire home, the fire service said.

The man was asleep in a chair at the flat in Christchurch Court, Banbury, when food in his oven caught fire.

His neighbour contacted the fire service after smelling smoke coming from the house on Tuesday night. Crews rescued the victim from the property.

He was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation. A smoke alarm was fitted to his home by firefighters.

Crew manager John Callaway, of Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "If it had not been for the neighbour noticing the smoke the outcome could have been very different."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites