Oxford family escape home as reading lamp ignites bed

A couple and their four children were forced to flee their home after a lamp fell on to a bed sparking a fire in Oxfordshire.

Smoke was seen coming from the first floor bedroom of the house in Finmore Road, Oxford, on Sunday evening.

The family escaped, shutting the bedroom door to contain the blaze, before calling the fire service.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a high pressure hose reel to extinguish the flames.

Watch manager Andy Hayes said: "The property had a working smoke alarm on the first floor landing which allowed early detection of the fire and helped the family to get to a place of safety before the arrival of the fire service."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Oxford

Weather

Oxford

17 °C 9 °C

Features & Analysis

  • An ant and a humanMass of bodies

    Do all the world's ants really weigh as much as all the humans?


  • Taxi in Mexico Freewheeling

    How I got my driving licence without taking a test


  • Tattooed person using tabletRogue ink

    People who lost their jobs because of their tattoos


  • Indian coupleSuspicious spouses

    Is your sweetheart playing away? Call Delhi's wedding detective


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • GeoguessrWhere in the world...?

    Think you are a geography expert? Test your knowledge with BBC Travel’s interactive game

Programmes

  • StudentsClick Watch

    Could a new social network help tailor lessons to students’ needs and spot when they fall behind?

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.