Oxford family escape home as reading lamp ignites bed

A couple and their four children were forced to flee their home after a lamp fell on to a bed sparking a fire in Oxfordshire.

Smoke was seen coming from the first floor bedroom of the house in Finmore Road, Oxford, on Sunday evening.

The family escaped, shutting the bedroom door to contain the blaze, before calling the fire service.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a high pressure hose reel to extinguish the flames.

Watch manager Andy Hayes said: "The property had a working smoke alarm on the first floor landing which allowed early detection of the fire and helped the family to get to a place of safety before the arrival of the fire service."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Oxford

Weather

Oxford

11 °C 6 °C

Features & Analysis

  • Cartoon of women chatting on the metroChat wagon

    The interesting things you hear in a women-only carriage


  • Replica of a cargo boxSpecial delivery

    The man who posted himself to the other side of the world


  • Music scoreFinal score Watch

    Goodbye to NYC's last classical sheet music shop


  • Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton checks her Blackberry from a desk inside a C-17 military plane upon her departure from Malta, in the Mediterranean Sea, bound for Tripoli, Libya'Emailgate'

    Hillary gets a taste of scrutiny that lies ahead


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Audi R8Best in show

    BBC Autos takes a look at 10 of the most eye-catching new cars at the 2015 Geneva motor show

Programmes

  • A robotClick Watch

    The latest in robotics including software that can design electronics to solve problems

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.