Oxford

Carer saves woman from burning Didcot flat

A "brave" carer has been praised for entering a burning flat to rescue the elderly woman she cares for.

She managed to help the woman to safety after a discarded cigarette ignited materials in a wooden wicker basket at the flat in Fairacres Road, Didcot.

The rescued woman was given oxygen while her carer was checked over before paramedics arrived on Saturday.

Oxfordshire fire service station manager Marcus Reay said the carer's action reduced injuries to the woman.

He added: "Cigarettes that fall on to sofas or cushions can easily result in far larger fires with tragic consequences.

"Although the fire and rescue service do not advocate entering a building that is on fire, it was a very brave thing to do and highlights what a special carer she is."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites