M40 fatal crash: Critically injured man 'stable'

Some of the cars involved in the M40 crash in Oxfordshire
Image caption Police said it was a "serious blessing" more people were not killed in the crash

A man critically injured in an M40 crash involving dozens of vehicles is now in a stable condition, police say.

The motorway was closed northbound for more than eight hours between junction 9 and junction 10 in Oxfordshire following the crash on Saturday morning.

Police said a total of 33 vehicles were involved. At the height of the response about 50 firefighters were deployed.

A 65-year-old man from Woking, Surrey, died at the scene.

Three people remained in hospital in a stable condition, Thames Valley Police said.

The force had said six people were seriously injured and 55 had minor injuries following the crash, which happened at about 07:45 GMT.

Image caption A total of 33 cars were involved in the pile-up
Image copyright Thames Valley Police
Image caption Police described the crash as "extraordinarily large"
Image copyright Zara Smith
Image caption South Central Ambulance Service said it was foggy at the time of the crash

Sgt Ashley Hannibal, from the force's serious collision investigation unit, said an investigation was continuing and appealed for witnesses to come forward.

"The scene is in the process of being digitally reconstructed to enable investigating officers to establish the positions of the vehicles involved and to piece together the circumstances which resulted in the collision," he said.

Ch Insp Henry Parsons said fog had "played a major part" in what he described as an "extraordinarily large" collision.

He added it was a "serious blessing" more people were not killed in the pile-up.

Image caption Four miles of queues were reported on the M40 northbound
Image caption Police, the ambulance service and the fire service were called to the scene

The force has not yet been able to confirm how many of its personnel attended following the crash.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said at the height of its response, nine fire engines and about 50 firefighters were at the scene.

It said some had been dealing with incidents nearby and were deployed to the scene to help.

A South Central Ambulance Service spokeswoman said rapid response vehicles, ambulances, including its helicopter, a doctor and "hazardous area response team" were deployed.

Four miles of queues were reported northbound, with delays of about an hour, during the road closure.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionThe road was closed for eight hours

Related Topics

More on this story

Around the BBC

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites