Oxford

House in Wantage gutted by tumble dryer fire

The house in Field Gardens, Wantage Image copyright OFRS
Image caption The blaze started in a house in Field Gardens, Wantage

A fire that started in a tumble dryer has gutted a semi-detached house in Oxfordshire.

The blaze started at about 19:00 BST on Friday 29 July in a house in Field Gardens, Wantage.

A fire and rescue service spokesman said when three crews arrived they were faced with "a significant fire that engulfed the whole house".

They wore breathing apparatuses and used high powered water jets to put out the blaze.

Oxford station manager Paul Molloy said: "Thanks to the quick actions of the occupier, the family escaped from the fire safely.

"This was a severe fire and the prompt offensive action of the initial fire crews undoubtedly saved the adjoining property."

Image copyright OFRS
Image caption Firefighters put out the fire before it could spread next door

Related Topics

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites