Shropshire

Telford fire: Newborn baby and four others hurt in fire

The scene of the fire at Teal Close
Image caption Five people were taken to Telford's Princess Royal Hospital for treatment

Two adults and three children, one of them a newborn baby, were taken to hospital after a serious house fire in Shropshire.

The fire started at about 01:35 GMT in a two-storey house in Teal Close, near Brookside, Telford.

The five people escaped from the house through a first-floor window. Fire crews treated the man and the woman for the effects of smoke inhalation.

Ambulance crews treated the children and the baby, who had a head injury.

Neighbour Natalie Elcock said: "As soon as everyone was out and we'd moved them all away, the windows went through. But we were just concerned about the kids."

A spokesman for Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service said they believed the fire was started by a portable heater and it was not being treated as suspicious.

West Midlands Ambulance Service said the woman, who is believed to be in her 20s, had also fractured a leg.

All five were taken to the Princess Royal Hospital for checks.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites