Girl dies at Shropshire campsite

A teenage girl has died at a Shropshire campsite and her family has been taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The girl, her brother and parents were found unconscious inside their tent at the Baron at Bucknell campsite just before 10:00 BST.

The site's owners said they had seen a disposable barbecue in the porch of the family's tent.

West Mercia Police are not treating the death as suspicious.

Officers were called to the campsite by ambulance crews, who tried to revive the girl.

'Cardiac arrest'

Det Insp Gavin Kinrade from West Mercia Police said: "We are treating the girl's death as unexplained, but at this stage there do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances and the investigation into this incident is at an early stage."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: "Crews arrived at the campsite to find CPR being carried out on a girl who was in cardiac arrest.

Start Quote

Nobody has done anything wrong, they have just not realised the dangers of disposable barbecues”

End Quote Phil Wright Campsite owner

"Ambulance crews continued resuscitation efforts in an attempt to restart the girl's heart. Sadly, despite their best efforts, nothing could be done to save the girl and she was confirmed dead on scene.

"A boy, believed to be 11 years old, was suffering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning."

The spokeswoman said he was airlifted to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital for emergency treatment and the two adults were taken there by ambulance.

Phil and Debra Wright, who own the Baron at Bucknell pub and its adjacent campsite, said the family was part of a larger group made up of the mother's two sisters and their respective partners and children, staying in a number of tents on the site.

Mr Wright said the group had become concerned when nobody in the family's tent awoke on Sunday morning.

He said: "They had gone into the tent and found them all unconscious.

"One of the sisters came and said: 'We need an ambulance urgently.'

"There was a disposable barbecue which they had used the night before in the porch of the tent."

He added: "Nobody has done anything wrong, they have just not realised the dangers of disposable barbecues.

"You don't realise that they are giving off fumes for hours and hours after you have used them."

More on This Story

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Shropshire

Weather

Shrewsbury

18 °C 10 °C

Features & Analysis

  • An ant and a humanMass of bodies

    Do all the world's ants really weigh as much as all the humans?


  • Taxi in Mexico Freewheeling

    How I got my driving licence without taking a test


  • Tattooed person using tabletRogue ink

    People who lost their jobs because of their tattoos


  • Indian coupleSuspicious spouses

    Is your sweetheart playing away? Call Delhi's wedding detective


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • GeoguessrWhere in the world...?

    Think you are a geography expert? Test your knowledge with BBC Travel’s interactive game

Programmes

  • StudentsClick Watch

    Could a new social network help tailor lessons to students’ needs and spot when they fall behind?

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.